600 E Brokaw Rd, San Jose, CA 95112

On the early morning of Sunday, May 26, 2019, I placed an order via the Frys.com website for the following items:

Plu

9118638

6.0654E+11

QFX FMT-1

$0 w/promo

Later that morning, I received an email confirmation that my order was ready for pick up at the Hamilton Avenue location. In the afternoon of May 26, I went to the store to pick up my items.

I went to the register with my order information in hand. The sales person rang up my order and charged me for the items that were supposed to be for free as stated on the Frys.com ad for Sunday. I advised that these items were for free. When I went to pull up the ad on my phone, the ad had been updated to show costs associated with these items – they were no longer listed as $0.

She asked the Merchandising Manager to come over and help her.

He advised me that there was an error on the ad and these items were incorrectly marked as $0 and that the error was found right before opening of the store. I was not happy and as I was asking for my order to be honored per the original ad from earlier that morning, the Store Manager came up and handed the sales person a $10 giftcard. I began talking to him and he was very rude and condescending. He had a smirk on his face the entire time he was talking to me and would not honor the original ad.

I advised him that this was a bad business practice – get customers in the store on false ad and then switch it before customers could realize the change or decide that they still wanted the item.

He did not care of my concerns and just continued to be rude. I said that I had dealt with other free items on their ads and he rudely said that “If you knew it wasn’t right, why did you try to buy it.” That was not what I was trying to say. I tried to explain that Frys offers free promos all of the time so I was excited to see these 3 free items.

I advised him to just give me my money back and they did something with the transaction so they could only give me cash back. He was talking under his breath rudely as he was trying to fix the order.

It ended up taking more than 30 minutes for him to figure it out. I said that he should give me another $10 for wasting my time since he did not know what he was doing as the Store Manager. He then replied saying, “I gave you the $10 as a courtesy for the ad error and I did not even need to do that.” That was totally rude and unprofessional behavior from a store manager.

I have been a long time customer of Frys, but this practice of bait and switch needs to stop. This is not the first time that there has been a misprint in the ad.

I understand that mistakes happen, but I feel that there is more to these mistakes and it is a ploy for Frys to get customers in their store on the pretense that they can get a really good deal or an item for free – and then at the last minute change the ad and say “oops, we made a type.” This is poor business.

Separate from all of this, I think the store manager at the Hamilton Avenue store should be reprimanded for his behavior. I realize that I was frustrated and upset, but I am the customer and I did not deserve for him to be rude and condescending.

Store Manager: